“Of all the lessons I’ve learned through my years of caregiving, the most important is to keep the love connection going. Just tell them that you love them again and again and again. You will never say it too much- ever.”
– Joan Lunden, journalist, author, mother of seven and long time caregiver to her mother.
You love your parents. You are so thankful for all they’ve done for you through the years. You want to help them as they age, but the caregiving task is getting to you. You’re trying to get ahead but you feel like you’re running on a treadmill. You are burnt out physically and checking out emotionally. How do you show your love to your parents and provide them the care they need?
If you’re struggling to keep up with caregiving and keeping your life balanced, it’s time to step back and look for other options. One of the best options in this transitional time of life is home health care. When making this decision, it’s critical to know what to look for in a home health agency.
10 Questions to Ask Home Health Agencies
Home Care Agency
- How long has your agency been providing home care services?
- What certifications and licenses does your agency have?
- What are your financial procedures? Do you have documents explaining costs and payment plans?
- How are caregivers selected? Are background checks run on all of the staff?
- What are your requirements for caregivers? Do they go through ongoing training and development?
- Are caregivers supervised? If so, what is done to ensure workers are given the best possible care?
- Are caregivers available at any time (24 hours a day, seven days a week)?
- Who is all involved in making changes to the care plan?
- What services do you provide?
- Do you have nurses and other health professionals evaluating the home care needs of my loved one? How are the needs assessed?
- How is my loved one’s care plan documented? Can I see an example?
- Who can we contact if we have questions or concerns about the care? How do you addresses problems if they arise?
- Do you have caregivers that can meet my special language or cultural preferences?
- What processes do you have in place to react to emergencies?
Once you’ve asked these questions, follow up with a request for references. A great home care agency should have a long list of doctors, clients, nurses, and families that are eager to share their experiences with the agency.
Arise Home Health Care has been providing quality home care services for over 15 years across central Minnesota. Learn more about the Arise story and services, or contact us for a conversation about your unique caregiving needs. We would happily answer any questions you may have about home health care and our agency.